Self Storage Demand Study 2013
SSAA Demand Study 2013 Highlights
- 5.0% of respondents indicated that they are currently using self storage – down from 5.7% in 2010
- 26.9% of respondents indicated that they have used self storage in the past – down marginally from 28.0% in 2010.
- 68.0% of respondents indicated that they have never used a self storage facility – up marginally from 66.3% in 2010.
- 21.8% of respondents indicated that they would be very likely, likely or somewhat likely to use self storage in the next twelve months.
- The results show that most (67.1%) of potential self storage customers make enquiries a month or more prior to using self storage.
- 33.5% of potential customers would use the internet as their primary information source to find a self storage facility.
- 11.4% of respondents indicated that previous use was the basis of their selection of a facility.
- 67.3% of existing customers only contacted their current facility or one other before making a decision about choosing a self storage facility.
- 27.7% of current users have used the same self storage facility in the past.
More than 43% of potential customers indicated that they would use either one or more of the following online functions:
- Pay my ongoing account online
- Book and pay a deposit for my self storage unit online
- Book my storage unit online
- The population in the income bracket, $52,000 p.a. to $77,999 p.a. represent 23.6% of self storage users while representing only 13% of the general population.
- 29.7% of respondents could not nominate one facility in their locality.
- Relative to other features, rental cost, level of security and ease of access to a facility, were the three features considered most important by potential customers from within the general population.
The Demand Study is available for purchase from the SSAA for a member price of only $110 (non-members $410). To order a copy click here to download a form, please return completed forms to e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax: 03 9466 8081.